Did you know?
- The average American family can save about $9,700 per year by taking public transportation.
- Public transportation is a $57 billion industry that employs nearly 400,000 people in our country.
- Access to public transportation gives people a way to get to work, go to school, visit friends and family, or go to a doctor’s office.
- Every dollar communities invest in public transportation generates approximately $4 in economic returns.
- Public transportation’s overall effects save the United States 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline each year.
- Communities that invest in public transportation reduce our nation’s carbon emissions by 37 million metric tons annually. That is the equivalent of New York City, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Denver, and Los Angeles combined stopping their usage of electricity.
Statistics provided by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA)